Wednesday 10 April 2013

Farewell Atticus Finch


Farewell Atticus Finch

            It’s sad to see you will finally be leaving us. You have been around for so long and have been so influential, but like everyone else you eventually have to move on. In grade 10 I read about you in Harper Lee’s novel To Kill A Mockingbird. You always stood out to me, so different then all of the other characters yet so normal. Your wise words and kinds thoughts helped me gain respect for not only you, but also other people in my world. How could you be so strong and stand up for someone, who other then you, had nobody else? Who in your time had little respect or rights? Things like this made you such a great role model. You did not care what others thought of you, as long as you knew that you were doing everything in your power to give this man a fair chance, even against all odds. You made me question and change things I was doing in my life, because of what you taught me. You were a great father, who raised two wonderful children to be just as respectful as you.
            I can always remember one quote that seemed to stick out for me.
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." I find this quote very accurate. People have different things going on in their life that you may not know about. So you cant judge people with out knowing the full story, and the only way to get the full story is trade shoes and see life from others perspectives.
            I am disappointed that your values will never be taught to the younger generation of growing children. They will really miss out on so many lessons to be learned from you. They will never get to experience the impact you could have potentially have had on their life.
            I never would have thought this day would come, but unfortunately it did. Farewell Mr. Finch. You may be gone now, but you will never be forgotten.
            

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great farewell to a great man/character. I really liked how you incorporated one of his pieces of dialogue from the novel. It adds a lot to the letter, specifically showing the impact it has had on you. I also really liked your closing line, "You may be gone now, but you will never be forgotten." Hopefully through these blog posts he may be brought back to you.

    ReplyDelete